Monday, February 7, 2011

Building an Appreciation for Ospreys!


Students help install braces on the platform. © Ben Wurst

This past week I met up with approximately 25 students from the Folwell School in Mount Holly. The 4th and 5th graders chose to help ospreys by constructing an osprey nesting platform for the Disney's Planet Challenge. "DPC teaches kids about science and conservation while empowering them to make a positive impact on their communities and planet." I was very happy to work with Maria Rivera, teacher of the students, from the beginning. Constructing the platform with the students was a rare treat and I was slightly envious of them. I was thinking, if I could only say that I helped to build an osprey platform when I was 9-10 years old....

I plan on inviting the students to help me install the platform near New Gretna, in eastern Burlington County in late March.


No comments: